Halloween can be fun and festive for people, but for pets it can also be dangerous. Here are some to help you ensure that your pet has a happy and safe Halloween...
Don't leave your pet outside unattended on Halloween (or on the days preceding or following this holiday). Halloween pranks committed against pets can be vicious, and black cats are particularly at risk.
Halloween treats are for people, not pets. Candy wrappers and lollipop sticks can be hazardous if swallowed. Even small amounts of chocolate can be poisonous for some types of pets, and candies or gum containing large amounts of the sweetener xylitol can be toxic to pets.
Keep pumpkins out of reach of curious noses and paws. Pets may knock over a lit pumpkin and cause a fire, and ingestion of large pieces can result in intestinal blockage.
Despite how much fun it is for people, many pets don't enjoy getting dressed up for Halloween. If you do dress your pet, be sure that its costume doesn't interfere with the pet's ability to breathe, see, hear, move, or bark.
Consider keeping your pet in a separate room, away from the door, when trick-or-treaters arrive. Strange people in even stranger clothes can frighten some pets.
When you do answer the door for visitors, make sure that your pet doesn't suddenly head for the great outdoors. In case your pet does escape, make sure that it is wearing proper identification. Pets with identification are much more likely to be returned to their owners.
For more information and tips about holiday safety for pets, visit
or ask your veterinarian for advice specific to your pet.
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT