Xylitol More Toxic to Dogs than Chocolate

1479743596All of us here at Family Pet Animal Hospital want to continue to warn pet owners about the dangers of xylitol, an increasingly popular sugar-substitute that is highly toxic to dogs. Xylitol can be found in many common products from sugar-free gum, mints, mouthwash, toothpaste, gummy vitamins, over-the-counter supplements, and various food products. Unsurprisingly, given the increasing presence of xylitol, the Pet Poison Helpline recently reported a dramatic increase in the number of phone calls they have received regarding xylitol poisoning.

What products contain Xylitol?

Alarmingly, multiple peanut and other nut butter brands have started using xylitol. How many of us use peanut butter as a medication vessel or treat for our dogs? A lot! According to the Veterinary Information Network News Service, the following five companies add xylitol to their peanut butter products – Go Nuts, Hand’s Protein Plus Peanut Butter, Krush Nutrition, Nuts ‘n More and P28.

Be sure to check labels carefully for xylitol. According to Dr. Tina Wismer at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, pet owners should be on the lookout for xylitol and the other names it may appear as: 1,4-anhydro-d-xylitol, anhydroxylitol, birch bark extract, birch sugar, d-xylitol, xylite, xdylitylglucoside, and Zylatol.

100x More Toxic Than Chocolate

Almost everyone knows that chocolate is toxic to dogs, but few people know xylitol is estimated to be 100x more toxic than chocolate to dogs. While xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener that is safe for people, ingestion by a dog of >0.1 gm/kg can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia within 10-15 minutes. Ingestion of larger quantities can even cause liver necrosis and liver failure. Signs of xylitol poisoning include weakness, depression, lethargy, vomiting, tremors, seizures, acute collapse, jaundice, diarrhea, black-tarry stools, bruising and death.

If You Suspect Xylitol Poisoning

Be sure to keep all these foods/products out of your dog’s reach. If you suspect xylitol ingestion, contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline (855.764.7661 – a $49/incident fee applies) immediately for potentially life-saving recommendations. Be sure to have the product packaging handy during the call(s) and bring it to your veterinarian to assist with determining the amount ingested by your pet. Treatment may require hospitalization and will usually include IV fluids, sugar supplementation, monitoring of blood sugar and liver values, and the use of liver protective drugs.